http://www.pranaspace.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/almond-milk-130x130.jpg 130 130 leochan http://www.pranaspace.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/logo-final3.png leochan2014-09-24 15:21:212015-05-27 10:46:05Yummy Almond Milk Recipe
This comes via my great friend and wonderful yoga teacher Naomi, who is sending great raw and vegan recipes through as I struggle not to make an impact on this earth with the food choices I am making.
Author: Wellness Mama: http://wellnessmama.com/366/organic-almond-milk/
- 1 cup raw organic sprouted almonds – soaked overnight (this step reduces the level of phytates- here is a good tutorial)
- 4 cups pure filtered water
- vanilla bean (optional)
- dates or a natural sweetener of choice.
- Soak almonds for at least 12 hours in pure water with ½ tsp sea salt. This is an important step as it breaks down the phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors and cultures beneficial enzymes in the almonds. (side note: soaking nuts should be done before eating them as well. Soak nuts in salt water for 12 hours, rinse them, and dry in oven on lowest heat. See tutorial above.)
- Rinse almonds well. Mix almonds with pure water in blender or Vitamix.
- Blend several minutes until smooth and creamy. (Warning: mixture will expand some, so make sure your blender is not full before starting it)
- Strain mixture into a large bowl through a sprout bag, cheese cloth or kitchen towel.
- Put mixture back into blender with vanilla, soaked dates, or other sweetener.
- Pour into glass jar or pitcher and store in fridge for up to one week.
Save the pulp of the almonds, put on cookie sheet and dehydrate in oven on lowest heat until completely dry. Run through blender or food processor to make almond flour, which can be used in recipes in place of flour.